Now Hiring – Driver, Class 5
- Star Building Materials at 2345 Alyth Road SE, Calgary which is on a great bus route!
- 292156 Crosspointe Road, Rocky View County, AB (behind the Century Downs Racetrack/Casino in Balzac) and NOT on a bus route.
Pay: $23-$26/hour, depending on experience
Why Join Us?
At Star Building Materials, our people make a difference. We offer an exciting place to build your career and offer you:
- Competitive compensation and group benefits (Extended health: medical, dental, vision plans; life and disability insurance; Employee and Family Assistance Plan)
- Educational assistance program
- Company matching RRSP/DPSP program
- Employee home purchase program
- Employee discounts.
- Completion of high school, must be able to read and write, and perform basic math.
- Minimum 3 months of delivery experience.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s licence and driver’s abstract with less than 7 demerits.
- Satisfactory verification of criminal record check.
- Attention to detail, good hand/eye coordination and situational awareness of physical work environment.
- Physically able to kneel and crouch as well as lift, carry, push or pull objects weighing up to 75 lbs. without the assistance of mobile or powered equipment.
- Previous experience working with building materials is good to have.
- Ability to operate a manual transmission is preferred.
- Crane experience is an asset.
- Experience with rigging, load securement is an asset.
Reporting to the Logistics/Yard Supervisor, as the Driver you will deliver building materials to customer homes or construction sites. You also load, transport, and unload materials manually.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include:
- Providing excellent customer service to all customers as a representative of the company.
- Loading trucks in a safe and timely manner.
- Assisting forklift operators loading trucks as needed.
- Verifying accuracy of shipping documents.
- Delivering materials via the most efficient route to remain on schedule.
- Adhering to Star’s Safety Programs and standard operating procedures at all times.
- Keeping equipment clean and in good operating condition, including completion of daily pre-trip inspections and site assessments.
- Problem solving and decision making as part of day to day tasks.
- Using iPad apps for safety, inspections and proof of delivery (Site Docs, Bistrack).
- Operating delivery units with courtesy and according to provincial regulations.
You primarily work outdoors during regular business hours. Work is mobile with exposure to potential accidents or occupational hazards as well as dealing with inclement weather, heights, dust and noise. Occasional weekend or evening work may be required. Actions taken and decisions made directly impact the safety and health of others. Overtime may be required during the busy season.
Star Building Materials is an independent, wholly owned division of Qualico. The company is a leading provider of building materials, trusses, ready to move homes, and cottage and garage packages operating under the Star Building Materials, Star Ready to Move Homes and Star Truss brands. With over 50 years of experience, Star Building Materials is committed to providing reliable and innovative products and services.
Qualico welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request during the assessment and selection process.
Candidates being considered will be contacted. We thank you for your interest.